Staff, Teaching & Learning
We provide an exciting opportunity for anyone who has a passion for sport and wants a successful career in the sports and leisure industry. You will develop a range of personal skills and knowledge essential for successful performance, and there will be opportunity to participate practically, as well as developing skills in areas such as, leadership, coaching, officiating.
There are no exams, therefore your programme of study will be coursework based; you will be assessed through practical tasks, written coursework, presentations and teacher observation. There are exciting opportunities for you to complete work offsite; these include
- Real life coaching experience through our close links with our partner primary schools.
- Industry based work experience placements.
- Trips to world class sports science laboratories.
- Outdoor and adventurous activities such as rock climbing, abseiling and water sports activities.
- Visits to regional centres of excellence.
- Overseas residential trip to study sports coaching at a La Liga club.
Careers and Higher Education
This qualification will give you the opportunity to gain employment or to progress to university and higher education. This could enable you to develop a future career in vocations including: PE teaching, sports coaching, sports development, physiotherapy, sports management and sports journalism.
You will receive first class learning opportunities delivered by an experienced and dynamic team of PE teachers and lecturers. At Key Stage 3,4 and 5 they have a proven and sustained track record of enabling all students to achieve the highest grades possible.
Start your career in sport with us and "stand above the competition"
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Sport (team or individual)
- Sports Injuries
- Sports Nutrition
- Talent identification and development in sport
- Leadership in sport
- Sports coaching
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity in exercise
- Analysis of a sports performance
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Organising Sports Events
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Work Experience in Sport
How the course is assessed
100% assignment based - consisting of a range of written projects, presentations and practical work.
Grade criteria / prior qualifications
4 / 5 A*-C GCSE - including English and a real passion for sport
GCSE PE and equivalent qualifications will be helpful.
All applications are subject to an interview to demonstrate your suitability for the course