Sixth Form Open Morning

Saturday 25th November 10am-12pm

A Level Computer Science

A Level Computer Science

Staff, Teaching & Learning

Code: 60149115/2610

"It should be mandatory that you understand computer science".

will.i.am

Computer Science is a qualification that is relevant to the modern and changing world of computing.

Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It's an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement, that can look at the natural world through a digital prism.

Computer Science qualifications will value computational thinking, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand the power and limits of human and machine intelligence. These are the concepts that lie at the heart of our Computer Science qualifications. They will be the best preparation for students who want to go on to study Computer Science at a higher level and will also provide a good grounding for other subject areas that require computational thinking and analytical skills.

The computer science specification will:

  • Focus on programming, building on GCSE Computing and emphasise the importance of computational thinking as a discipline.
  • Have an expanded maths focus, much of which will be embedded within the course.
  • Put computational thinking at its core, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand human and machine intelligence.
  • Allow student to apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real world systems in an exciting and engaging manner.
  • Give students a clear progression into higher education, as the course was designed after consultation with members of BCS, CAS and top universities.

The AS will consist of two components, which will be externally assessed and weighted at 50% each.*

The A Level will consist of three components, two of which will be externally marked question papers making up 80% of the qualification. The other 20% will be the coursework project with an emphasis on coding and programming.

Apply Now

This is
your Ambrose...

All fields are required

Please tell us the nature of your enquiry